So, there is this meme going around farcebook about 10 influential books, or movies. I have been tagged. But I am not a fan of posting on the book of face. So, putting it here.
Books that have stuck with me
Some of these will be children’s books- books can have a much bigger impact as a child
1. Pride and prejudice- Jane Austen. There is just so much to get out of the book, it was once the only book I took on a three day solo hike.
2. Alanna- Tamora Pierce. One of the first fantasy books I read, with a very strong heroine
3. Warrior’s Apprentice- Lois McMaster Bujold. I would list the whole series if I could. Books that both entertain and make you think.
4. Guards, guards – Terry Pratchett. Not the best of his, but the book that got me hooked on discworld. Another author who entertain and make you think
5. My fathers dragon- Ruth stiles gannet. My second grade teacher read this to the class, and many many years later I tracked the series down ( in japan)
6. The drawing of the dark- Tim Powers- beer saves the western world.
7. Fire and Hemlock- Diana Wynne Jones- another author who I want to include all of her books. Elements from this rebelling of Tam Lin pops into my head at random moments.
8. To say nothing of the dog- Connie Willis. It is a toss up between this time travel romp and the awesome Bellwether. Both really good.
9. In the garden of Iden – Kage Baker. This is another one where it is the series, rather than individual books
10. Once a hero- Elizabeth Moon. A space opera book that convinced me to try others ( with varying levels of success). You can hide from your true personality, but under pressure, it will come out.
A List of 10 books, but ask me on another day and it may change.